This BBQ Jackfruit and Vegan Coleslaw is a healthy pulled-pork alternative that doesn’t sacrifice texture or flavor!
- 2 cans of Jackfruit (in brine or water)
- 1 small white Onion, diced
- 1 1/2 cup Water
- 1 cup BBQ Sauce (+ more for topping)
- 3 tbsp BBQ Spice Blend (optional, but recommended)
- 2 cups Red Cabbage, shredded
- 1 large Carrot, ribboned or shredded
- 1/4 cup Vegan Mayo
- 1 tbsp Apple Cider Vinegar
- 1/2 tsp Dijon Mustard
- 1/4 tsp Salt
- Black Pepper to taste
- Heat some oil in a large pot over medium heat. Add the diced Onion and cook until soft, about 3-5 minutes.
- Meanwhile, drain and rinse your Jackfruit.
- Add the Jackfruit to the pot with the BBQ Spice Blend and cook for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Turn the heat down to medium low. Add your BBQ Sauce and Water to the pot, cover with a lid, and let simmer for 30 minutes. Halfway through, stir and break apart the Jackfruit as much as you can with a spoon or spatula.
- After 30 minutes, the water should be evaporated, leaving you with tender Jackfruit thickly coated in BBQ sauce. Remove from the heat, and mash the Jackfruit until you achieve a pulled-pork consistency. It should break apart pretty easily, but the core may be harder to mash. It doesn’t need to be perfect!
- Pre-heat the oven to 220 C (430 F). Line a baking tray with parchment paper or a silicone mat. Spread jackfruit evenly onto the baking tray, and top with some extra BBQ Sauce. Pop into the oven for 10 minutes. (This baking step is optional, but recommended for extra crispiness!)
- Serve on a bun topped with extra BBQ sauce and some Vegan Coleslaw. This BBQ Jackfruit and Coleslaw also tastes great on tacos!
- In a large bowl, mix together your Vegan Mayo, Apple Cider Vinegar, Dijon Mustard, Salt, and Pepper.
- Stir in your shredded Cabbage and Carrot.
- It is best to let your Coleslaw sit in the fridge for at least an hour for the flavors to settle. But I typically just eat it straight away because I’m not good at thinking ahead. The leftovers I stash away overnight are the best though.
Keywords: BBQ, Jackfruit, Vegan Coleslaw, Summer, Sandwiches