A healthier take on the traditional greek lasagna, this veganized version retains the unique flavors of pastitsio without all the animal products.
- 4 oz elbow noodles
- 1/4 cup shredded vegan parmesan cheese
- 8 oz silken tofu
- 1 cup unsweetened non-dairy milk (I use soy)
- 2 tbsp vegan butter
- 2 tbsp all-purpose flour
- 1/8 tsp nutmeg
- 1/8 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 12 oz can cooked brown lentils
- 1/4 cup veggie broth or water
- 1/2 medium yellow onion, minced
- 1/2 medium tomato, finely diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 5 tbsp tomato paste
- 1/4 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/8 tsp ground nutmeg
- 1/4 tsp salt
- Cook elbow noodles in salted water according to package instructions until al dente. Drain, rinse with cold water, and set aside.
- Preheat the oven to 400 F.
- Make your Lentil Sauce.
- Drain and rinse lentils. Set aside.
- Add some oil in a large saucepan over medium high heat. Saute onions, tomato, cinnamon, nutmeg, garlic, and salt 5-6 minutes until they start to brown.
- Stir in the veggie broth, tomato paste, and lentils. Cook 3-5 minutes, until mixture starts to thicken. Remove from heat and set aside.
- Next make your Bechamel Sauce.
- Melt vegan butter in a small pot over medium heat.
- Once melted, quickly whisk in the flour until a smooth paste forms.
- Raise the heat to medium high and slowly pour in the non-dairy milk. Continuously whisk for about 3 minutes until the sauce is very well combined and starts to thicken.
- Stir in salt, cinnamon, and nutmeg. Remove from heat.
- Let the sauce cool for a few minutes. Set 1/2 cup of sauce aside.
- Blend the rest of the sauce and the silken tofu together until smooth. Set aside.
- Assemble the pastitsio.
- Coat the bottom of a 9×9 in baking dish with some oil.
- In a bowl, mix together the elbow noodles and the 1/2 cup of reserved bechamel sauce until well coated. Layer the noodles on the bottom of the dish.
- Evenly scoop the lentil sauce over the noodles.
- Cover with the remaining bechamel sauce and sprinkle with vegan parmesan cheese.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes, or until the top of the pastitsio is firm and slightly golden.
- Broil for 3-5 minutes, or until the top starts to brown.
- Garnish with extra vegan parmesan cheese or parsley. Store in the fridge up to a week, or freeze for later!
Keywords: Greek Vegan Food, Greek Lasagna, Vegan Pastitsio, Healthy Pastitsio