Many vegan Mac & Cheese recipes use blended boiled potatoes to get that luscious creamy texture we are looking for in a faux cheese sauce. Others use blended soaked cashews. Well, buckle up because I’m telling you the best thing to use is blended White Beans. Also known as Cannellini Beans, these lovely legumes are pretty neutral tasting, blend nice and creamy, and are full of plant-protein.
But how will this taste like cheese, you ask? Well, it won’t. Not exactly. But we can come close by using a variety of flavorful ingredients.
These ingredients are what gives the sauce a savory, cheesy flavor. If you skimp on these, don’t come at me when your sauce turns out not-so-cheesy. All of these can be found online or at most grocery stores.
- Nutritional Yeast (aka Nooch) — This is a deactivated yeast that has a very strong nutty, cheesy flavor. It is often used in cheese substitutes. (It’s also a good source of B12, so it’s good to eat regularly)
- White Miso — This adds a nice salty, umami flavor.
- Apple Cider Vinegar — Real cheese has a slight tang to it, and ACV adds acidity to mimic the taste.
- Tahini — This sesame seed paste adds more nuttiness to the flavor profile.
A Few Notes
- This recipe makes about 2 1/2 cups of cheese, and depending on how much and what type of pasta you make, you will probably have left-overs. For two large servings, I used 8oz of Tiburon pasta and half the cheese sauce.
- The sauce is best eaten fresh, but can keep in the fridge about 4-5 days in an airtight container. It will thicken when cold, so be sure to warm it up and give it a stir before eating!
If you make this recipe, leave it a rating and a comment! You can also tag me @Daughter_of_Seitan on Instagram so I can see your lovely food creations. XOXO
This Vegan White Bean Mac & Cheese recipe is perfect for a quick, healthy meal that will keep you satiated! High protein, low fat, and gluten-free.
- 8oz Pasta of choice, gluten-free if needed
- 2 cups White Beans, drained + rinsed
- 1 large Carrot, peeled
- 1/2 cup unsweetened Plant Milk (I used Almond)
- 6 tbsp Nutritional Yeast
- 3 tbsp Tahini
- Juice of 1/2 medium Lemon (2 tbsp)
- 2 tbsp Apple Cider Vinegar
- 1 tbsp White Miso paste
- 3 tsp Garlic Powder
- 1/2 tsp Dijon Mustard (optional, but adds a good kick!)
- Salt + Black Pepper to taste
- Bring a pot of salted water to boil and cook you Pasta according to package instructions. Drain the Pasta when done cooking.
- Chop the Carrot into ~1 inch coins. Boil the Carrot in a pot of water for 6-8 minutes, or until it becomes tender enough to easily blend.
- In a blender, add your drained White Beans, boiled Carrot coins, Plant Milk, Nutritional Yeast, Tahini, Lemon Juice, Apple Cider Vinegar, White Miso, Garlic Powder, and Dijon Mustard. Blend a few minutes until the sauce is smooth and creamy.
- Add your Pasta to a large bowl, and pour about half the cheese sauce (save the rest for later!) over the noodles. Stir until evenly coated.
- Enjoy on its own, or add toppings. I like my Mac & Cheese with fresh tomato, a sprinkle of spring onion, and a few cracks of fresh black pepper!
Keywords: Vegan Mac & Cheese, White Beans, Low Fat, High Protein