These tofu chicken nuggets are the ultimate comfort food. Baked to crispy perfection, these vegan chicken nuggets are healthy and a great source of plant-based protein. Adult and kid-friendly!
1 (14oz) package extra firm tofu (frozen, thawed, and pressed)*
- 1 cup vegan chicken broth (sub vegetable broth)
- 2 tablespoons nutritional yeast
- 2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon sage
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/3 cup unsweetened non-dairy milk (I used almond milk)
- 1/2 cup (60 g) all purpose flour
- 1 cup panko breadcrumbs
- 2 teaspoons paprika
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- Marinate the tofu.
- After freezing, thawing, and pressing the tofu, rip it into nugget-sized chunks. You can also cut it with a knife, but I find ripping it gives it a nice organic shape.
- Mix marinade ingredients in a container with a lid or a sealable bag. Add the tofu and marinate for at least 30 minutes, shaking it half way through.
- Preheat the oven to 375 F.
- Prepare the batter and breadcrumb mixtures. In a mixing bowl, whisk together the batter ingredients until smooth. In a separate bowl, stir together the breadcrumb mixture ingredients.
- Batter and bread the tofu nuggets. Dip each tofu nugget one at a time into the batter, letting any excess batter drip off. Then roll in the breadcrumbs until evenly coated. Place on a lined baking tray.
- Bake the tofu nuggets. For extra crispiness, spray the nuggets with oil before baking. Bake for 40 mins, flipping half way through.
- Best enjoyed fresh out of the oven! Serve with ketchup, vegan ranch, or your favorite sauce. Leftovers will last 3-4 days in the fridge. Reheat in the oven at 350 F until heated through.
Freezing and thawing the tofu gives it a chewy texture, which is perfect for chicken nuggets. To freeze: place the entire unopened package of tofu in the freezer for two hours, or until solid. To thaw: either place frozen tofu in the fridge for about a day, or on the counter for a couple of hours. If in a rush, you can put the tofu package into a pot of warm water or microwave until thawed. Once done thawing, press the tofu for at least 20 minutes.
If you choose to skip the freezing and thawing step, do not skip pressing the tofu!
- Serving Size: 1 serving
- Calories: 333.6 kcal
- Sugar: 1.5 g
- Sodium: 686.2 mg
- Fat: 8.3 g
- Saturated Fat: 0.9 g
- Unsaturated Fat: 0 g
- Trans Fat: 0 g
- Carbohydrates: 41 g
- Fiber: 4.8 g
- Protein: 22.8 g
- Cholesterol: 0 mg
Keywords: tofu chicken nuggets, vegan chicken nuggets, tofu nuggets