Vegan TVP chili is a hearty and healthy recipe that is perfect for a weeknight dinner. This vegetarian chili recipe uses textured vegetable protein (TVP), which is a budget-friendly and high-protein meat alternative that gives this chili a meaty texture. Meal prep and freezer friendly!
- 1 small white onion, diced
- 1 rib celery, chopped
- 2 carrots, chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons onion powder
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cayenne (optional, for spice)*
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 1/2 cups TVP (textured vegetable protein)
- 1 (15 oz) can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 (15 oz) can kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 (28 oz) can diced or crushed tomatoes
- 3 cups vegan beef flavored broth (sub vegetable broth)
- Heat up a splash of water or oil in a large pot over medium heat. Sauté the onion, celery, carrots for 7-8 minutes until the onions are translucent.
- Add the minced garlic and all the spices, and cook for an additional 60 seconds.
- Reduce the heat to medium low. Add in the dry TVP, black beans, kidney beans, tomatoes, and broth. Cover and simmer for 35-40 minutes, until the vegetables are cooked to your preference.
- Taste the chili and adjust the spices if needed. Enjoy on it’s own, or top with vegan cheese, sour cream, green onions, and lime wedges.
* I do not cook with cayenne pepper. I am a baby with heat. But if you like chili to be spicy, start with 1/4 teaspoon of cayenne and add more as needed.
- Serving Size: 1 serving
- Calories: 353.6 kcal
- Sugar: 15.6 g
- Sodium: 950.3 mg
- Fat: 2.6 g
- Saturated Fat: 0.4 g
- Unsaturated Fat: 0 g
- Trans Fat: 0 g
- Carbohydrates: 59.6 g
- Fiber: 19.6 g
- Protein: 28.1 g
- Cholesterol: 0 mg
Keywords: tvp chili, tvp recipes, vegetarian chili