It is so easy to make your own shredded seitan “chicken” at home. With a neutral savory flavor, these meaty seitan shreds are the perfect addition to any recipe that calls for shredded chicken – add to casseroles, pasta dishes, soups, sandwiches, and more!
- 1 (15.5 oz) can cannellini beans + aquafaba (do not drain the beans – use the entire can with the beans and the bean juice)*
- 6 tablespoons water
- 1 tablespoon oil (optional)
- 2 tablespoons white miso paste
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon onion powder
- 1 tablespoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon vegan chicken bouillon paste (sub with 1 bouillon cube)
- 2 cups (240g) vital wheat gluten
- Blend the wet mixture. To a blender, add all of the ingredients except for the vital wheat gluten. Blend until smooth.
- Mix the dry and wet mixtures. To a large mixing bowl, add the vital wheat gluten. Pour the blended mixture into the bowl, stirring until a ball of dough forms.
- Knead the dough. You can do this two ways.
- With a food processor: Separate the dough into three equal balls. Using a plastic (recommended) or metal s-blade attachment, pulse each ball of dough for about 2 minutes, until the gluten has formed.
- By hand: Knead for about 10 minutes, or until the dough is firm and the gluten has formed. Using your hands or a knife, separate the kneaded dough into three equal balls.
- Steam the seitan.
- Wrap each of the 3 dough balls tightly in aluminum foil. If you do not like foil touching your food, you can first wrap the seitan in parchment paper and then aluminum foil on top of that.
- In a pot or pan that will fit your steamer basket, heat some water over high until it comes to a boil. Place the steamer basket in the pan, add the seitan to the basket, and cover the pan with a lid. Reduce the heat to medium low.
- Steam for 45 minutes, flip the seitan, then steam again for an additional 45 minutes. Check in every so often to make sure that you pan has not run dry, and add more water to the pan as needed.
- Let the seitan cool in the aluminum foil for at least 10 minutes before unwrapping.
- Shred the seitan. Once the seitan is cool enough to handle, begin shredding it with your hands. Pull apart the “chicken” shreds as thin or thick as you’d like them!
- How to serve seitan chickens shreds: Use in recipes as a replacement for shredded chicken. They also taste great in a veggie stir fry with an Asian sauce, or pan fried and coat with bbq sauce for sandwiches. Store the seitan shreds in the fridge for up to 10 days. Leftovers are freezer-friendly.
* Any white bean works: cannellini beans, navy beans, or great northern beans. Make sure to use canned beans, and do not drain the beans. The aquafaba is used in this recipe!
- Serving Size: 1 serving
- Calories: 157.7 kcal
- Sugar: 1.2 g
- Sodium: 472 mg
- Fat: 3.2 g
- Saturated Fat: 0.2 g
- Unsaturated Fat: 0 g
- Trans Fat: 0 g
- Carbohydrates: 11.7 g
- Fiber: 2.6 g
- Protein: 23.4 g
- Cholesterol: 0 g
Keywords: seitan chicken, shredded seitan chicken, seitan chicken shreds