Learn to make the best tofu scramble ever! This healthy 15 minute vegan breakfast recipe is packed with protein and tons of veggies.
- 1 teaspoon oil (omit if oil-free)
- 1/2 cup frozen shredded hash browns
- 3 cremini mushrooms, sliced
- 1/2 cup broccoli, chopped into small florets
- 1/4 small onion, roughly diced
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt (plus more to taste)
- 1/3 block medium firm tofu*
- 1/4 teaspoon turmeric (optional, for color)
- 1 tablespoon vegan sour cream*
- 1/2 tablespoon nutritional yeast
- 1/4 teaspoon each: garlic powder, ground cumin, chili powder, red pepper flakes
- 2 tablespoons salsa
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1/2 cup spinach
- Black pepper to taste
For serving (optional):
Hot sauce, cilantro, vegan sour cream
- Heat up a large pan over medium heat. Once hot, add the oil. On one half of the pan, spread out the shredded hash browns in an even layer. On the other half of the pan, add the mushrooms, broccoli, and onion. Sprinkle the salt over the veggies and hash browns and let cook undisturbed for 4 minutes.
- Give the hash browns and veggies a stir, then push them to one side of the pan. On the empty side of the pan, crumble the tofu into small pieces. Add the turmeric and cashew sour cream to the tofu, and scramble to incorporate. It will turn a bright yellow color and look creamy.
- Let the veggies and tofu continue to cook on separate sides of the pan for 4 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Then stir the veggies and tofu together. Add the nutritional yeast, garlic powder, ground cumin, chili powder, and red pepper flakes. Cook an additional 1-2 minutes.
- Stir in the salsa, lemon juice, and spinach. Cook until the spinach is wilted.
- Add ground black pepper and more salt to taste.
- Serve with hot sauce, cilantro, and extra cashew sour cream! This recipe makes one serving, but can be doubled or tripled to serve multiple people or for meal prep.
Medium firm or firm tofu works best. Extra firm tofu will work in a pinch. I do not recommend silken tofu.
I typically use my vegan cashew sour cream in this recipe, but store-bought vegan sour cream, vegan mayo, or tahini also work. You can also omit this ingredient, but the tofu scramble will not be as creamy.
Nutrition information is calculated without optional ingredients.
- Serving Size: Entire recipe
- Calories: 287.4 kcal
- Sugar: 4.8 g
- Sodium: 820.1 mg
- Fat: 14.2 g
- Saturated Fat: 2.3 g
- Unsaturated Fat: 0 g
- Trans Fat: 0 g
- Carbohydrates: 23.8 g
- Fiber: 6.2 g
- Protein: 22.4 g
- Cholesterol: 0 g
Keywords: tofu scramble, tofu scramble with veggies, high protein vegan breakfast