This light and healthy vegan almond milk lentil curry is packed with plant based protein and veggies. With minimal prep time, this curry is a perfect weeknight dinner that is ready in just over an hour – and most of that time is spent simmering on the stove! Leftovers freeze beautifully, making this recipe perfect for meal prep.
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 1 medium yellow onion, diced
- 1 large bell pepper (any color), diced
- 2 large carrots, diced
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon fresh ginger, minced (1 inch piece)
- 3 tablespoons curry powder
- 1 teaspoon each: garam masala, ground turmeric, ground cumin, paprika, and salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne (optional, for spice)
- 1 cup dry green or brown lentils
- 1 can (14.5 ounces) fire-roasted diced tomatoes
- 2 cups unsweetened almond milk
- 2 cups vegetable broth
For serving (optional)
- Brown rice
- Lemon wedges
- Prep your ingredients. Drain and rinse the lentils using a fine mesh strainer and set aside. Dice your vegetables and mince the ginger and garlic.
- Sauté the vegetables.
- Add the oil to a large pot over medium heat. Once hot, sauté onions, pepper, and carrots for 7 minutes, until browned.
- Add the ginger and garlic and cook an additional 60 seconds.
- Then add in all of the spices and cook an additional 1-2 minutes, until fragrant.
- Finally, add in the tomatoes and cook another 1-2 minutes.
- Simmer the curry. Add the lentils, almond milk, and vegetable broth. Bring to a boil, then reduce to a simmer. Cover with a lid and cook for 40-45 minutes, or until lentils are tender. At the end, add in the lemon juice.
- Serve with rice, cilantro, and lemon slices. This lentil curry keeps in the fridge for a week, and it freezes really well.
- Serving Size: 1 serving
- Calories: 234.3 kcal
- Sugar: 14.6 g
- Sodium: 858.3 mg
- Fat: 6.4 g
- Saturated Fat: 0.8 g
- Unsaturated Fat: 0 g
- Trans Fat: 0 g
- Carbohydrates: 34.9 g
- Fiber: 14.6 g
- Protein: 11.1 g
- Cholesterol: 0 g
Keywords: almond milk lentil curry, vegan lentil curry, curry without coconut milk