Granola is a dangerous food for me. I used to be sort of a granola junkie — I would tell myself it was a health food so I could justify downing half a bag in one go. But store bought granola is often made with shit ingredients that nobody needs in their body. Nicely played, granola. Well I have a healthy and delicious alternative for all you granola lovers out there. This homemade Carrot Cake Granola is oil-free and refined sugar-free! And it has carrots! 🥕 Wow wow.
The granola craving hit me hard last weekend, and I decided I needed to whip up a batch of granola ASAP. When it comes to granola, I’m typically a peanutbutter + chocolate kind of girl. But this time when considering how I wanted to flavor it, I kept thinking back to this amazing vegan carrot cake I made a few weeks ago…
“Take a risk,” the carrots in my fridge softly whispered to me. “We’re starting to go bad.”
Okay, ya’ll win. I’ll do the damn thing. Sorry, PB + chocolate. Next time.
So I made granola as usual, but with carrot cake flavors. I wasn’t sure how it was going to turn out, but I ended up with this crunchy, warm, nutty, perfect granola. I strongly identify as a peanutbutter + chocolate lover, but I might like this carrot cake flavor better! Sooo freaking good.
I needed to share this lovely creation with you guys!!!
How to make Homemade Granola
Homemade granola is so easy to make. Seriously. All you need to do is…
- Whisk together your wet ingredients.
- Stir in your dry ingredients.
- Pour mixture onto a baking tray.
That’s all it takes! In just 30 minutes, you can have fresh, healthy, crunchy granola.
9 Ingredient Carrot Cake Granola
The base of the recipe is rolled oats. We also use tahini, which is a neutral flavored seed-butter that will act as a binder to form the chunky granola clusters. Maple syrup is a natural sweetener and pairs amazingly with the tahini flavor. To give this granola the authentic carrot cake flavor, I added carrots, pecans, cinnamon, nutmeg, and vanilla. Since it’s granola, I also added some raisins to give it a nice textural element. Plus, it pairs beautifully with all the warm flavors!
I love serving this Carrot Cake Granola with either soy yogurt or almond milk! It’s also amazing on it’s own. 😍 Eat it however you desire for breakfast or as a crunchy snack!
A Few Notes
- Use whole oats for this recipe! We want those phat oat clusters in our granola, and flakey quick oats will not do the trick.
- Be sure to use a runny, creamy tahini. I don’t recommend substituting tahini for another nut / seed butter, but I think Almond butter would be pretty good in this recipe if you need a sub. Note that it will change the flavor though!
- You can store this granola in an airtight container for 2 weeks, or in the fridge for up to a month. But I do not think this will last more than a few days, unless you make a massive batch or you have incredible self control. It’s so freaking good.
If you make this recipe, leave it a rating and a comment! You can also tag me @Daughter_of_Seitan on Instagram so I can see your lovely food creations. XOXOPrint
This 9-ingredient Carrot Cake Granola is delicious and so easy to make. In just 30 minutes, you can have a healthy breakfast or snack that is perfect for meal prep!
- 2 cups Rolled Oats
- 1 cup grated Carrots
- 1/2 cup chopped Pecans
- 1/3 cup Maple Syrup (sub Agave)
- 1/3 cup Tahini
- 1/2 tbsp Cinnamon
- 1 tsp Vanilla Extract
- 1/2 tsp Nutmeg
- 1/4 tsp Salt
- 1/4 cup Raisins (Optional)
- Preheat the oven to 160 C (320 F).
- Whisk together the Maple Syrup, Tahini, Cinnamon, Vanilla Extract, Nutmeg, and Salt in a large bowl.
- Pour your Rolled Oats, grated Carrots, chopped Pecans into the bowl, and toss until everything is evenly coated.
- Spread the mixture flat onto a baking tray lined with a silicone mat or parchment paper.
- Bake for 15 minutes. Use a spatula to flip your granola, then return to the oven for an additional 10 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and stir the Raisins into the granola.
- The granola will get crunchier as it cools, so wait until it is room temperature before consuming!
Keywords: Granola, Carrot Cake, Oil-Free, Refined Sugar-Free, Breakfast, Vegan, Gluten-Free