This vegan jackfruit “chicken” noodle soup is a meatless take on the classic soup you know and love. A soothing, comforting, and cozy meal that is ready in just 30 minutes.
- 1 (20 oz) can young green jackfruit (in water or brine, not syrup)
- 1 tablespoon oil or water
- 1 small onion, diced
- 2 ribs celery, sliced
- 3 small carrots, sliced into coins
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon dried sage
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 6 cups vegan chicken broth (sub vegetable broth)
- 6 oz small pasta (I used bow tie pasta)
- Prep the jackfruit. Drain and rinse the jackfruit. The jackfruit pieces are triangular shaped chunks made up of a stringy texture as well as a firm “core.” Cut off the core and chop it into small pieces. Then use your fingers to pull apart the stringy texture of the jackfruit, separating it into “shredded” pieces.
- Sauté the veggies. Add oil or a splash of water to a large pot over medium heat. Sauté the jackfruit, onions, carrots, celery, garlic, and spices for about 10 minutes, until the onions are translucent.
- Simmer. Add the broth and bring to a boil over high heat. Once boiling, reduce to a simmer over medium high heat and cook for 10 minutes, or until the vegetables are tender enough to your preference.
- Cook the pasta. While the soup is simmering, cook the pasta al dente according to package instructions in a separate pot. Stir the pasta into the soup once cooked. If meal prepping, keep the pasta in a separate container so it does not get soggy.
- Taste the soup and adjust the spices if needed. Serve on its own or with crackers!
If you want this chicken noodle soup to be more authentic, Walmart sells vegan egg-noodles! You can also cut up lasagna noodles into wide strips. But I prefer to use a small pasta, like bow tie pasta.
If making in advance for meal prep, keep the pasta in a separate container than the soup. The noodles will absorb the liquid and get soggy if kept in the same container.
I used the Vegetarian No Chicken Base from Better Than Bouillon for a chicken flavor, but you can use vegetable broth instead.
- Serving Size: 1 serving
- Calories: 243.7 kcal
- Sugar: 3.1 g
- Sodium: 1598.3 mg
- Fat: 4.3 g
- Saturated Fat: 0.5 g
- Unsaturated Fat: 0 g
- Trans Fat: 0 g
- Carbohydrates: 44.1 g
- Fiber: 5.4 g
- Protein: 8.6 g
- Cholesterol: 0 mg
Keywords: jackfruit chicken noodle soup, vegan chicken noodle soup