YEAH BABY we are making Summer Rolls. Yum yum yum yum yum yum. Summer rolls are a big staple in my life. They are light and refreshing, full of raw veggies, and take less than 20 minutes to make. Also, they are best paired with a creamy sauce and who doesn’t love an excuse to OD on sauce? Can I get another YUM?!
I packed these rolls with Avocado, Beets, Carrot, and Cilantro for a reason — because they are absolutely incredible together!!! Mind blown, soul blown, heart blown, completely blown away by this flavor combo. Trust me. I’ve made and eaten many Summer Rolls in my life, and this combo is the BOMB DOT COM.
The Orange Tahini Sauce perfectly compliments the flavors of the Summer Rolls. We always have a lot of Oranges around the apartment, so I decided to add some fresh Orange Juice to thin out a Tahini sauce… and that is the moment I discovered my new obsession. OJ + Tahini, come on guys. Added a few more spices and this sauce was perfecto.
You jazzed up yet???
How to make Summer Rolls
Making Summer Rolls is very easy. The hardest part is finding Rice Paper, and that isn’t even very hard. You just need to go to the Asian section of the store or go to an Asian Supermarket.
First, prep all of your Veggies. Make sure they are neatly laid out so you can easily grab them as you are assembling the Summer Rolls. Then, wet your Rice Paper in a bowl of water for a couple of seconds and shake off the excess water. The Rice Paper will get softer with time, so work quickly so it doesn’t become too soft to roll. As your Rice Paper is softening, add the Veggies. After about 30 seconds, the Rice Paper is usually pliable enough to begin rolling. Roll the wraps. BOOM DONE.
How to roll your Summer Rolls
- Lay your wet Rice Paper onto a surface and place your Veggies in the center.
- Fold one side over your Veggie filling.
- Fold in the left and right sides to close off the edges.
- Tightly roll closed.
A Few Notes
- If you have one, I recommend using a wooden cutting board to roll your Summer Rolls on. I find wet Rice Paper doesn’t stick to wood too much. You could also roll them on a slightly damp, clean kitchen towel. Avoid rolling them directly on a countertop, as this will be difficult and sticky.
- This recipe works best with ripe but firm Avocados. They will hold their shape in the rolls better and not turn to mush.
- If you are one of those people that thinks Cilantro tastes like soap, Mint or Basil would be perfect subs.
- Try not to let the rolls touch too much, they stick together.
If you make this recipe, leave it a rating and a comment! You can also tag me @Daughter_of_Seitan on Instagram so I can see your lovely food creations. XOXO
These Summer Rolls are a quick and refreshing light meal or snack. All you need is 20 minutes to make these yummy rolls and sweet Orange Tahini Sauce.
- 8 Medium Rice Paper Wraps
- 1 Avocado, sliced
- 1 Beet, julienned
- 1 large Carrot, julienned
- Bunch of Cilantro
- Sprinkle of Black Sesame Seeds (optional, but it’s cute)
Orange Tahini Sauce
- 1/4 cup Tahini
- 1/4 cup freshly squeezed Orange Juice
- 1/2 tsp Apple Cider Vinegar
- 1/8 tsp Ginger powder (optional)
- 1/8 tsp Salt
- Slice and julienne your Veggies. Set aside.
- Dip a Rice Paper Wrap into a bowl of water for a couple of seconds. Shake off excess water, and lay it on a flat surface. It will soften and be ready to roll in about 30 seconds.
- As you wait for the Rice Paper to soften, add your Veggies to the center of the wrap.
- Once the Rice Paper is pliable, fold the top half of the Rice Paper down over the Veggies. Then fold in the left and right sides of the roll. Continue rolling all the way down and press the seam closed.
- Repeat until all of your Veggies are used up.
- To make the Orange Tahini Sauce, whisk all ingredients together until smooth. If it is too thick, add some water or more juice. If it is too thin, add more tahini.
Keywords: Summer Rolls, Spring Rolls, Raw, Light Meal, Snack, Tahini