To celebrate spooky season, these vegan stuffed bell peppers are carved to look like jack o’lanterns! Stuffed with a Mexican-inspired quinoa black bean filling, these delicious peppers are perfect served as a savory main dish or appetizer at any Halloween celebration.
- 4 bell peppers*
- 1/4 cup water (for steaming)
- 3/4 cup dry white quinoa + 1 1/2 cup water
- 3/4 cup chunky salsa
- 1 cup canned black beans
- 1/2 cup canned corn
- 1/2 cup shredded vegan mozzarella cheese
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 2 teaspoons cumin powder
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
For serving (optional)
- Vegan sour cream
- Extra salsa
- Preheat the oven to 425 F.
- Carve the peppers.
- Using a pairing knife, slice the tops off the peppers. Cut straight down or in a zig zag pattern (see photos). Set aside, as these will be the tops of the jack o’lanterns.
- Carefully cut out the white bits and seeds from the inside of the pepper, making sure not to cut through the pepper itself.
- Carve a face into one side of the pepper. I like to carve two triangle eyes and a mouth. Keep it simple – if the facial features are too detailed or too close together, the face may rip apart when cooked.
- Steam peppers in the oven. Place the peppers and their tops in a high rimmed baking dish. Add the 1/4 cup of water to the bottom of the dish, cover the dish with foil, poke a few holes in the foil, and bake for 30 minutes.
- Prepare the filling.
- First, cook the quinoa. Add the quinoa and the water to a small pot and bring to a boil. Once boiling, reduce to a simmer. Then cover with a lid and cook for 15 minutes. The quinoa should be nice and fluffy.
- In a mixing bowl, add the cooked quinoa, salsa, black beans, corn, cheese, and spices. Mix together.
- Stuff the peppers. Once the peppers are done steaming, remove them from the oven and use tongs to pour out any water that may have accumulated inside the pepper. It’s okay if there is some water left on the bottom of the baking dish. Carefully stuff the peppers with the filling, sprinkling extra vegan cheese on top if desired.
- Bake the peppers. Place the top on each bell pepper jack o’lantern, and bake uncovered for 10-15 minutes, or until the pepper is tender and the vegan cheese is melted.
- Serve with extra salsa, vegan sour cream, and cilantro. Stay spooky and happy Halloween!
* Try to find bell peppers with flat bottoms so they can sit up straight. Any color bell pepper works!
- Serving Size: 1 serving
- Calories: 280.7 kcal
- Sugar: 8.1 g
- Sodium: 885.4 mg
- Fat: 5.6 g
- Saturated Fat: 1.9 g
- Unsaturated Fat: 0 g
- Trans Fat: 0 g
- Carbohydrates: 49.2 g
- Fiber: 10.1 g
- Protein: 10.2 g
- Cholesterol: 0 mg
Keywords: vegan stuffed bell peppers, vegan halloween recipes, savory halloween recipes, halloween main dishes