This mushroom gravy is super earthy, rich, and delicious. Totally vegan, this gravy only requires 6 ingredients and is done in under 30 minutes.
- 1 package cremini mushrooms, sliced
- 1 small white onion, diced
- 3 cups vegetable broth
- 3 tbsp vegan butter
- 1/4 cup all purpose flour
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- Salt + black pepper to taste
- Melt vegan butter over medium high heat in a saucepan. Add mushrooms, onion, and garlic. Cook about 8 minutes, until the mushrooms are dark and wilted.
- There should be a little liquid from the mushrooms left over in the pan. Briskly whisk the flour into the mushroom, onion, garlic mixture until a thick paste forms.
- Reduce heat to low and pour in half the vegetable broth. Whisk until there are no clumps of flour, 3-4 minutes.
- Stir in the remaining vegetable broth. Simmer another 7-8 minutes, stirring occasionally, until the gravy reaches the desired thickness. Remember that it will thicken a bit as it cools.
- Taste your gravy and add salt + black pepper to taste.
- Serve warm over mashed potatoes, biscuits, seitan, or anything you’d like! This gravy will keep up to 5 days in the fridge.
Keywords: Mushroom Gravy, Cremini Mushrooms, Vegan Gravy, Vegan Thanksgiving Sides, Vegan Christmas Sides, Vegan Sides