This vegan mushroom gravy is super earthy, rich, and delicious. With only 6 ingredients, this beautiful gravy is ready in under 30 minutes. It is perfect paired with mashed potatoes for a Thanksgiving or Christmas side, or for a weeknight dinner!
Thanksgiving and Christmas are right around the corner, and a good gravy is a staple during the holiday season! Gravy is the most perfect, warming, comforting sauce that tastes good on everything. She thick 👄 she rich 💎 she all anyone could ask for — introducing: Vegan Mushroom Gravy 🍄
Gravy is traditionally made with animal-based stock, but is very easy to make plant-based! This vegan mushroom gravy is very simple, using just mushrooms, vegetable broth, onion, garlic, and flour.
The key to this gravy is the cremini mushrooms. Cremini mushrooms have a very intense earthy flavor when they are cooked down, which gives this gravy such a beautiful, deep flavor profile. They also give the gravy a nice dark brown color typical of traditional gravies.
I like putting this gravy on mashed potatoes (obviously) but it is also great with seitan! You could put it on top of biscuits, toss it with some pasta, put it on fries, add it to soups… really, the possibilities are endless. If you aren’t vegan, you can also do some omnivore shenanigans with it. Like I said, it tastes great on everything so GO CRAZY 🤘
How to customize vegan mushroom gravy
- If you prefer a super creamy gravy with no mushroom pieces, you can blitz everything up in a blender. Blitzing will make the gravy a bit thicker, so reserve some extra vegetable broth to thin it out if needed.
- I personally love the simplicity of this gravy, but you could absolutely add whatever spices or herbs you like! Rosemary, thyme, and sage would taste wonderful.
- Different vegetable broths contain varying levels of sodium, so be sure to add salt after you taste the gravy. I added some salt before I tasted the gravy the first time I made this and it was way too salty. Those vegetable broth cubes are little sneaky sodium bombs.
Try out my Creamy Vegan Mashed Potatoes as a perfect pairing for this gravy!
If you make this recipe, leave it a rating and a comment! You can also tag me @Daughter_of_Seitan on Instagram so I can see your lovely food creations. XOXOPrint
This mushroom gravy is super earthy, rich, and delicious. Totally vegan, this gravy only requires 6 ingredients and is done in under 30 minutes.
- 1 package cremini mushrooms, sliced
- 1 small white onion, diced
- 3 cups vegetable broth
- 3 tbsp vegan butter
- 1/4 cup all purpose flour
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- Salt + black pepper to taste
- Melt vegan butter over medium high heat in a saucepan. Add mushrooms, onion, and garlic. Cook about 8 minutes, until the mushrooms are dark and wilted.
- There should be a little liquid from the mushrooms left over in the pan. Briskly whisk the flour into the mushroom, onion, garlic mixture until a thick paste forms.
- Reduce heat to low and pour in half the vegetable broth. Whisk until there are no clumps of flour, 3-4 minutes.
- Stir in the remaining vegetable broth. Simmer another 7-8 minutes, stirring occasionally, until the gravy reaches the desired thickness. Remember that it will thicken a bit as it cools.
- Taste your gravy and add salt + black pepper to taste.
- Serve warm over mashed potatoes, biscuits, seitan, or anything you’d like! This gravy will keep up to 5 days in the fridge.
Keywords: Mushroom Gravy, Cremini Mushrooms, Vegan Gravy, Vegan Thanksgiving Sides, Vegan Christmas Sides, Vegan Sides