This crispy tofu coated in a delicious, sticky orange sauce is better than Chinese takeout. In just 45 minutes, enjoy this vegan take on the classic orange chicken. Serve over rice and roasted broccoli for a satisfying meal.
- 14oz extra-firm tofu
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons nutritional yeast
- 1 1/2 cup orange juice
- 2 tablespoon rice vinegar
- 2 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1/2 teaspoon ginger powder
- Make the crispy tofu. Preheat the oven to 425. Cube the tofu into 16 pieces and place in a large bowl. Stir in the soy sauce and nutritional yeast until the tofu is coated.
- Evenly spread tofu on a baking tray lined with parchment paper or a reusable silicone mat. Bake for 20 minutes, flip, and bake another 20-25 minutes until firm. The tofu will crisp up a bit as it cools.
- While the tofu is cooking, prepare the orange sauce. Put all ingredients besides cornstarch in a medium pot. Bring to a rolling simmer over medium high heat. Continue to simmer for about 5 minutes until the sauce has thickened a bit.
- Mix the cornstarch with 1 tablespoon water in a small bowl until dissolved. Pour the cornstarch mixture into the pot and stir until well combined. Simmer about 2-3 minutes, stirring frequently, until the sauce is at your desired consistency. If too thick, add a bit more orange juice. If too thin, continue to simmer a bit longer.
- Stir in the tofu, and simmer another minute or two before removing from heat.
- Serve with rice, broccoli, and chopped green onion. This orange tofu will keep about 5 days in the fridge.
Keywords: Orange Tofu, Tofu Recipes, Vegan Chinese Food, Vegan Chinese Takeout