This vegan tofu feta cheese is packed with delicious Greek spices that make it taste close to the real thing! With just 5 minutes of prep time, this dairy-free feta is an easy way to get your cheese fix without the cheese. Sprinkle it on salads, sandwiches, or add to any Mediterranean dish as a feta replacement.
Tofu feta cheese
Before I went vegan, I was obsessed with feta. Scrambled eggs with feta was my jam, but I’d eat everything with feta on it. Fast forward to today – I no longer eat dairy, which means no more feta. After over 3 years of boycotting cheese, I finally created a vegan tofu feta recipe!
There is a Greek restaurant Volua’s Greek Sweets here in Rochester NY that is vegetarian and has many vegan options. Before going vegan, I’d order dishes with real feta but now I get their vegan feta option. Their feta is so good! It’s nice and crumbly and makes the vegan option feel like the original dish. I’m pretty sure the feta is tofu-based, which is what inspired this recipe! ❤️
I’ll say straight away that, no, tofu is not and will never be actual feta cheese. I’m pretty sure you couldn’t trick anyone into thinking this vegan feta is real feta, but it does have a similar texture and the spices make it taste very Mediterranean. It’s a great dairy-free swap, but at the end of the day it is literally tofu infused with Greek spices and olive oil. (And it is DELICIOUS.)
Now that I lowered your expectations an appropriate amount, let’s get on to the recipe!
Ingredients for vegan feta cheese
The base of this vegan feta is extra firm tofu. When crumbled, it looks a lot like feta cheese, it holds it’s shape pretty well, and it won’t get mushy. Tofu is also very porous and will absorb any flavor you want, making it the perfect sponge to soak up all our amazing Greek spices. Dried oregano and basil, lemon juice, lemon zest, garlic, and salt fills this plant-based feta with Mediterranean flavor. Nutritional yeast adds a cheesy flavor, and olive oil adds a creaminess that you get from real feta.
Can I make this recipe oil-free?
If you’re worried about oil, I suggest that you add at least one tablespoon of olive oil just so the tofu can be lightly coated. But you can make this recipe with no oil at all – the feta will just be a bit dry and not super creamy, but you’ll still get most of that nice Greek flavor from all the spices.
How to make vegan feta with tofu
This vegan feta recipe only requires 5 minutes of prep time and is super easy to make.
- Add all the spices, lemon juice, and olive oil to a container. Stir until combined.
- Roughly crumble the tofu and add it to the container. Stir to evenly coat the tofu with spices.
- Let sit in the fridge for at least 3 hours (or overnight).
Enjoy on salads, sandwiches, or use as a feta replacement in Greek dishes like spanakopita!
More Greek recipesPrint
This vegan tofu feta cheese is packed with delicious Greek spices that make it taste close to the real thing! With just 5 minutes of prep time, this dairy-free feta is an easy way to get your cheese fix without the cheese.
- 2 tablespoons dried basil
- 2 tablespoons dried oregano
- 3 tablespoons nutritional yeast
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- Zest of 1 lemon
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1/2 block extra firm tofu (7oz)
- To a large jar or container* add the basil, oregano, nutritional yeast, minced garlic, lemon zest, and salt. Give it a stir, then pour in the lemon juice and olive oil. Mix until incorporated.
- Roughly crumble the tofu with your hands and add it to the container with the spices and oil. Stir to evenly coat the tofu with spices.
- Pop it in in the fridge for at least 3 hours (or overnight for best results) so the tofu can absorb all the wonderful spices! This tofu feta will last about 1 week in the fridge.
* I use a container that holds 3 cups for this recipe.
- Serving Size: 1 serving
- Calories: 139 cals
- Sugar: 0g
- Sodium: 14mg
- Fat: 11.9g
- Saturated Fat: 1.65g
- Unsaturated Fat: 10g
- Carbohydrates: 3.3g
- Fiber: 1.34g
- Protein: 5.7g
- Cholesterol: 0mg
Keywords: tofu feta, vegan feta, vegan feta cheese, dairy free feta