These healthy vegan burrito bowls are perfect for a quick and easy meal prep. Full of rice, veggies, protein-packed black beans, and salsa, these burrito bowls are fresh, satisfying, and delicious. Make lunches for every day of the work week in just 30 minutes!
Quick and easy vegan meal prep
I see some of the food that y’all are meal prepping out there, and I totally understand why you aren’t excited about meal prepping. When your meal prepped food is boring and bland you aren’t going to want to eat it once, let alone several days in a row. So you gotta make something delicious!
These vegan burrito bowls will make you excited for lunch every day. They are super healthy and fresh, filled with crunchy romaine, sautéed veggies, protein-packed black beans, rice, salsa of choice, and delicious toppings. And they are ready in just 30 minutes!
This recipe makes enough for 5 meals, which will give you lunches for a whole work week! However, these burrito bowls were so yummy that I finished them in just 2.5 days, eating them every day for both lunch and dinner until they were gone. Oops. But the goal is to meal prep food that is so good you want to eat it for every meal, so I think I did my job 👏
How to make Vegan Burrito Bowls at home
Nothing beats a delicious burrito bowl from Chipotle or Moes! Food always tastes better when someone else makes it, doesn’t it? Well not today, because you are making these burrito bowls and I think you’ll find that nothing tastes better than something you made yourself with your magic little kitchen hands. You are so talented, you culinary genius.
Ingredients for these Burrito Bowls
- Rice or grain. I used white basmati rice, but use whatever rice or grain you’d like.
- Greens. Crunchy chopped romaine is the way to go here.
- Black beans. For plant-based protein.
- Peppers and onions. The perfect veggie combo.
- Salsa. No burrito bowl is complete without salsa! Your choice – mild, medium, or spicy.
- Cilantro. I’m sorry if this tastes like soap to you, you’re missing out.
- Avocado or guacamole. Obviously! Also for a source of healthy fat.
- Lime wedges. For a little kick.
- Vegan sour cream. A little sour cream really takes these bowls to the next level.
How to customize this recipe
The best part about burrito bowls is that they are totally customizable! I love this recipe, but I encourage you to use it as a template and adapt it to fit your tastebuds. If you don’t like rice, use quinoa or cauliflower rice. Sub out black beans for pinto beans. Add some sautéed mushrooms, grilled corn, or whatever veggies you like. Top with shredded vegan cheese if you fancy.
How to store Burrito Bowls for meal prep
How you store these burrito bowls will depend on if you want to enjoy your warm hot or cold. These bowls are delicious either way, so it’s up to you!
For a warm burrito bowl you need to use two separate containers – one will be filled with microwavable ingredients, and the other will be filled with ingredients you don’t want to microwave. Microwavable ingredients include rice, black beans, peppers and onions, salsa, and vegan source cream. Lettuce, fresh herbs, avocado, and lime wedges should be kept in a separate container, as they don’t do well in the microwave.
For a cold burrito bowl, you can use one container for all your ingredients. Add rice and lettuce to the bottom of the container, then top with black beans, peppers and onions, salsa, and any additional toppings.
Note: Avocado is best added right before serving, as it only lasts about 2-4 days once sliced.
More vegan meal prep recipes
If you make this recipe, leave it a rating and a comment! You can also tag me @Daughter_of_Seitan on Instagram so I can see your lovely food creations. XOXOPrint
- 1 1/2 cups uncooked white rice
- 3 cups water
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3 medium bell peppers, sliced
- 2 small white onions, sliced
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Black pepper to taste
- 2 cans black beans, drained and rinsed
- 2 hearts of romaine lettuce, chopped
- 1 cup salsa of choice
For Serving (Optional)
- Vegan sour cream
- Lime wedges
- Cook the rice. In a medium pot, add rice and water and bring to a boil. Once boiling, reduce to a simmer, cover, and let simmer for 18 minutes, or until the rice is soft and fluffy. When done cooking, stir in the lime juice and salt.
- Prepare the veggies. While the rice is cooking, heat a little oil in a large pan over medium heat. Add onions, peppers, and all of the spices. Cook about 10 minutes, or until the peppers are tender.
- Prep the black beans. Drain and rinse the black beans. Set aside.
- Prep the lettuce. Rinse off your lettuce and finely chop into small pieces. Set aside.
- Assemble the bowls for meal prep. Divide the rice, peppers and onions, black beans, lettuce, and salsa equally into 5 containers.
- For a warm burrito bowl: Add rice, peppers and onions, black beans, and salsa to a container. You can microwave this container. Store lettuce in a separate container, as you do not want to microwave it. Combine when ready to eat.
- For a cold burrito bowl: Add rice and lettuce to the base of a container. Top with black beans, peppers + onions, salsa, and any other toppings of choice.
Nutrition information is calculated not including the optional toppings for serving.
- Serving Size: 1 serving
- Calories: 328.63 cals
- Sugar: 7.37g
- Sodium: 878.89mg
- Fat: 1.55g
- Saturated Fat: 0.28g
- Carbohydrates: 67.31g
- Fiber: 15.52g
- Protein: 13.76g
- Cholesterol: 0mg
Keywords: vegan meal prep, recipes with black beans, burrito bowl recipe