Today we are celebrating the fact that the best berry of all time is back in season! Obviously, I’m talking about the Strawberry. This Vegan Strawberry Shortcake recipe is made with 9 ingredients, is ready in under 30 minutes, and is a perfect treat for berry season. 🍓
I’ll be honest — I’m a newbie baker. I never cared much for baking, but since going vegan I’ve become interested in making vegan treats that are equally as delicious as their non-vegan counterparts. So I was determined to get these shortcakes perfect!
After testing this recipe 4 times, I gotta say THIS RECIPE IS DOPE.
Light and fluffy biscuits topped with sweet strawberries and dairy-free whipped cream? Strawberry Shortcake who???
How to make Vegan Strawberry Shortcake
Strawberry Shortcake is pretty simple to make.
- Slice your strawberries and toss them with sugar.
- Make your biscuits.
- Generously layer strawbs + whipped cream onto the biscuits.
That’s it ya’ll!
Get some good Strawberries
First, prep your Strawberries. Slice them into little chunks and compost the green bits. Put them in the bowl, toss with sugar, and let sit while you make your biscuits. The sugar will help the Strawberries become nice and juicy.
Making the dough
Start off making Vegan Buttermilk by whisking together Soy Milk and Apple Cider Vinegar (or Lemon Juice). After 5 minutes, you will have perfectly soured milk. Great for baking, not for drinking.
Make sure you have Chilled Vegan Butter. It would be best to use a stick of vegan butter if you can find it. I couldn’t, so I used spreadable vegan butter. I put it in the freezer an hour before use to make sure it was cold, but even 15-20 minutes would suffice. Again, use CHILLED VEGAN BUTTER. I’m super duper serious!
Whisk together your dry ingredients until evenly combined. Cut your Chilled Vegan Butter into small chunks, and use a fork (or pastry cutter if you have one) to mash it into the dry ingredients. Break up all the big clumps until the dough is crumbly. Work fast so the butter doesn’t start to melt!
Make a well in the middle of your dough and slowly stir in your Vegan Buttermilk (you might not need all of it). Do not overwork the dough! It should be pretty sticky, but still workable.
Forming the biscuits
From trolling the internet for the Secrets of Biscuit Making, this is what I learned.
- Knead the dough as little as possible.
- To help the biscuits rise uniformly, make sure they are slightly touching on the baking sheet.
- Indenting the center of the biscuits with your thumb prevents them from rising in a a dome.
- Brushing the biscuit tops with a little melted Vegan Butter keeps everything crispy.
Bake the biscuits until golden, then take them out of the oven and let them cool for a few minutes. Then you can assemble your shortcakes!
- Slice the biscuit open
- On the bottom half of the biscuit, apply whipped cream and strawberries
- Cover with the other half of the biscuit
- Smother with more whipped cream and strawberries!
A Few Notes
- Again, use Chilled Vegan Butter. And do not overwork the dough!
- The amount of flour you use matters. If you have a kitchen scale, be sure to use it! If you don’t have a scale, scoop the flour into your measuring cup using a spoon and level it off with a knife.
- I used store bought Vegan Whipped Cream but if you want to make your own, Sweet Simple Vegan has a 2-ingredient Coconut Whipped Cream recipe you could try!
If you make this recipe, leave it a rating and a comment! You can also tag me @Daughter_of_Seitan on Instagram so I can see your lovely food creations. XOXOPrint
This Vegan Strawberry Shortcake is made with 9 ingredients and is ready in under 30 minutes! A simple and delicious dessert, breakfast, or anytime treat.
- 1 pint Strawberries, washed & sliced
- 2 tbsp Sugar
- 185g All Purpose Flour (~1 1/2 cups)
- 1/2 cup Unsweetened Soy Milk (sub Almond Milk)
- 3 tbsp Vegan Butter, chilled in the freezer
- 2 tbsp Sugar
- 1/2 tbsp Apple Cider Vinegar (sub Lemon Juice)
- 1 tbsp Baking Powder (yes, a whole tablespoon)
- 1/2 tsp Salt
- 1/4 tsp Baking Soda
- Vegan Whipped Cream
- Preheat oven to 220 °C (428 °F)
- In a bowl, toss your sliced Strawberries with Sugar. Place in the fridge until you are ready to use it.
- In a small bowl, make your Vegan Buttermilk buy combining Soy Milk and Apple Cider Vinegar. Stir and set aside. After 5 minutes, your Vegan Buttermilk will be ready to use.
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk together Flour, Sugar, Baking Powder, Salt, and Baking Soda until evenly combined.
- Cut Chilled Vegan Butter into small cubes, and use a fork or pastry cutter to mash the cubes evenly into the dry mixture until it becomes very coarse and crumbly.
- Make a small well in the center of your mixture and slowly pour in your Vegan Buttermilk (you might not need all of it). Stir until just combined.
- Flour your surface (biscuit dough is very sticky!). Using your hands, pat the dough into a flat square. Fold in half and gently press the dough into itself a few times, hardly kneading. Be careful not to overwork the dough.
- Press the dough flat about 1/2 inch thick.
- Use a ~ 2 1/2 inch dough cutter (or the top of a jar, like I did) to cut your biscuits.
- Transfer biscuits to a baking sheet lined with a silicone mat or parchment paper. Make sure the biscuits are slightly touching, press a small indent into the top of each biscuit, and brush the tops with a little melted Vegan Butter.
- Bake in the oven until golden, about 14 minutes. Transfer the biscuits to a cooling rack for 5 minutes before use.
- Assemble the shortcakes! Cut the biscuits in half and layer with the Strawberries and Vegan Whipped Cream.
Keywords: Vegan Strawberry Shortcake, Strawberries, Biscuits, Breakfast, Dessert