This Vegan Strawberry Shortcake is made with 9 ingredients and is ready in under 30 minutes! A simple and delicious dessert, breakfast, or anytime treat.
- 1 pint Strawberries, washed & sliced
- 2 tbsp Sugar
- 185g All Purpose Flour (~1 1/2 cups)
- 1/2 cup Unsweetened Soy Milk (sub Almond Milk)
- 3 tbsp Vegan Butter, chilled in the freezer
- 2 tbsp Sugar
- 1/2 tbsp Apple Cider Vinegar (sub Lemon Juice)
- 1 tbsp Baking Powder (yes, a whole tablespoon)
- 1/2 tsp Salt
- 1/4 tsp Baking Soda
- Vegan Whipped Cream
- Preheat oven to 220 °C (428 °F)
- In a bowl, toss your sliced Strawberries with Sugar. Place in the fridge until you are ready to use it.
- In a small bowl, make your Vegan Buttermilk buy combining Soy Milk and Apple Cider Vinegar. Stir and set aside. After 5 minutes, your Vegan Buttermilk will be ready to use.
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk together Flour, Sugar, Baking Powder, Salt, and Baking Soda until evenly combined.
- Cut Chilled Vegan Butter into small cubes, and use a fork or pastry cutter to mash the cubes evenly into the dry mixture until it becomes very coarse and crumbly.
- Make a small well in the center of your mixture and slowly pour in your Vegan Buttermilk (you might not need all of it). Stir until just combined.
- Flour your surface (biscuit dough is very sticky!). Using your hands, pat the dough into a flat square. Fold in half and gently press the dough into itself a few times, hardly kneading. Be careful not to overwork the dough.
- Press the dough flat about 1/2 inch thick.
- Use a ~ 2 1/2 inch dough cutter (or the top of a jar, like I did) to cut your biscuits.
- Transfer biscuits to a baking sheet lined with a silicone mat or parchment paper. Make sure the biscuits are slightly touching, press a small indent into the top of each biscuit, and brush the tops with a little melted Vegan Butter.
- Bake in the oven until golden, about 14 minutes. Transfer the biscuits to a cooling rack for 5 minutes before use.
- Assemble the shortcakes! Cut the biscuits in half and layer with the Strawberries and Vegan Whipped Cream.
Keywords: Vegan Strawberry Shortcake, Strawberries, Biscuits, Breakfast, Dessert