Let me start off by saying this is a pad thai inspired recipe. Don’t come at me guys! (I know there are pad thai fanatics out there.) Authentic pad thai is not vegan, as it includes fish sauce, egg, and shrimp. It also incorporates some harder to find ingredients like tamarind paste. None of that here today! This pad thai inspired recipe is totally vegan and full of rice noodles, crispy tofu, delicious veggies, and a creamy Tahini Lime sauce.
How to make Tahini Pad Thai
I am such a huge fan of stir-frys. They are quick, easy, customizable, and I literally never get sick of them.
All you need to make a stir fry is…
- Noodles. I like rice noodles.
- Veggies. I mix it up depending on what I have on hand.
- Plant-Protein. I love adding tofu, tempeh, or seitan!
- Sauce. Yes, yes, yes. The star of the show.
I recommend using the veggies included in this recipe if you want a bomb ass flavor combo, but you can really add or sub anything you’d like. Don’t go buy bean sprouts if you don’t like them, just because some girl online told you that you needed them to make the BEST VEGAN TAHINI PAD THAI ever. Do include tofu though. Tofu is queen.
Tahini Lime Sauce (aka the real MVP)
The real key to a good stir-fry is a delicious sauce. And oh baby, yes, I have the most delicious sauce ever. This Tahini Lime sauce is made with just 5 ingredients!
- Lime Juice
- Coconut Sugar
- Nutritional Yeast
- Soy Sauce
It is creamy, sweet, salty, and savory all at the same time. So. Good. You should double the sauce recipe if you’re a sauce freak like me. Put it on everything.
A Few Notes
- Use whichever oil you want, but sesame oil really takes this dish to a whole new level. Just thinking about tofu fried in sesame oil makes my brain almost go into flight or fight mode. Sooo good.
- Depending on your rice noodles, this should keep in the fridge for 3-4 days.
- Don’t overcook your bean sprouts! They are so lovely and crunchy, they just need a light stir in the pan and they will be perfect.
If you make this recipe, leave it a rating and a comment! You can also tag me @Daughter_of_Seitan on Instagram so I can see your lovely food creations. XOXOPrint
This easy Tahini Pad Thai is ready in under 30 minutes! Rice Noodles, Tofu, and Veggies topped with a creamy Tahini Lime sauce.
- 1 package Rice Noodles (250g)
- ½ block Firm Tofu (200g)
- 4 cups Bean Sprouts
- 2 medium Carrots
- 1 medium Red Bell Pepper
- ½ Yellow Onion
- 5 Cremini Mushrooms
- 4 Garlic Cloves, minced
- Sesame Oil, for stir-frying
Tahini Lime Sauce
- 5 tbsp Tahini
- 3 tbsp Lime Juice
- 2 tbsp Coconut Sugar (sub Brown Sugar)
- 2 tbsp Nutritional Yeast
- 2 tbsp Soy Sauce
- 2 tbsp Water
Optional (For Serving)
- ¼ cup chopped Cilantro
- Lime wedges
- Prep your ingredients! Drain excess water from your Tofu, then cut it into roughly ½ inch squares. Thinly slice your Red Bell Pepper, Onions, and Mushrooms. Peel the skin off your Carrot, then continue to peel it to make ribbons. Set aside.
- Prep your sauce! Whisk together Tahini, Lime Juice, Coconut Sugar, Nutritional Yeast, Soy Sauce, and Water until smooth. Set aside.
- Cook your Rice Noodles based on packaging instructions. (The noodles I buy say to boil them for 4 minutes). Drain and set aside.
- Heat up some Sesame Oil in a pan over medium high heat. Once hot, fry your Tofu on each side for a minute or two until golden brown. Put in a bowl and set aside.
- Pour more Oil in the pan over medium high heat, and cook your diced Onions and minced Garlic until slightly browned.
- Add your Carrots, Red Bell Pepper, and Mushrooms to the pan. Cook for 3 minutes, stirring well.
- Add the cooked Rice Noodles and Tofu to the pan along with the Tahini Lime Sauce. Cook for 2 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Stir in your Bean Sprouts, then remove the pan from heat.
- Serve this Tahini Pad Thai topped with fresh Cilantro and Lime Wedges!
Keywords: Pad Thai, Tahini, Vegan, Tofu, Rice Noodles, Lime, Stir-Fry