Looking for a cozy dinner to warm you up during these cold winter months? This simple coconut curry is hearty, healthy, and comes together in just 20 minutes!
I live in upstate NY where the winters are very snowy and cold, so finding easy-to-make, warm, comforting dinners is a must. An obvious choice would be soups, but I’m not the biggest fan of soups. However I am a huge fan of curries. Curry #1!!!
How to make vegan coconut curry
Recently coconut milk has been my favorite food group, and this simple coconut curry has been my favorite food. In a large pot, we start by sautéing onion and garlic. Then we gently cook carrots, bell peppers, and broccoli. Finally we add in coconut milk, vegetable broth, and spices. Bring to a simmer, and 10 minutes later you’ve got yourself a simple, perfect coconut curry.
Feel free to sub in whatever vegetables you like! Snow peas, tomatoes, and cauliflower would be delicious. I love serving this curry with basmati rice, cilantro, and a generous squeeze of lemon juice.
A few notes
- This curry will keep in the fridge for about 5 days, and is great for meal prep. If you prep rice to serve with it, I suggest keeping the rice and curry in separate containers until the day you plan to eat it so the rice doesn’t get too soggy.
- You can sub in light coconut milk if you do not want to use full-fat coconut milk, but note that this will make the curry a lot thinner and less rich.
If you make this recipe, leave it a rating and a comment! You can also tag me @Daughter_of_Seitan on Instagram so I can see your lovely food creations. XOXOPrint
- 2 cans full fat coconut milk
- 2–3 cups vegetable broth
- 1 medium head broccoli, chopped into florets
- 1 medium sliced bell pepper
- 2 medium sliced carrots
- 1 small diced white onion
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tbsp curry powder
- 2 tsp ginger powder
- 2 tsp cumin
- Coconut oil (optional)
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- In a large pot, heat some coconut oil or water over medium heat.
- Cook onion and garlic 1-2 minutes until slightly translucent.
- Add carrots, broccoli, and bell pepper and cook for 5 minutes until they start to soften.
- Stir in vegetable broth, coconut milk, curry powder, ginger powder, cumin, and salt + pepper. Bring to a rolling simmer and cook uncovered 10-12 minutes.
- You’ll know the curry is done when the vegetables are soft but still have a bit of a bite to them. If the curry is a bit too thick for your liking, stir in more vegetable broth. Add more spices, salt, and pepper to taste. Serve with rice, cilantro, and lemon.
Keywords: Coconut Curry, Coconut Milk, Savory, Gluten-Free, Vegan, Vegan Curry