These fluffy vegan banana bread muffins are gluten-free, require just 10 ingredients, and are so easy to make. They are the perfect bite-sized healthy snack, breakfast, or dessert.
We are about one month into quarantine and I’ve finally jumped on the banana bread train. Well, sort of. Turns out I don’t have a loaf tin, but I do have a muffin tin. So banana bread muffins it is! All the goodness of banana bread packed into a fluffy little muffin.
A healthier take on banana bread
Traditional banana breads are typically loaded with a ton of butter and sugar. It is totally fine to indulge in decadent baked goods, but if you are looking for a healthier recipe that does not sacrifice on flavor then you’ve come to the right place! This vegan banana bread muffin recipe is vegan, gluten-free, dairy-free, and goes light on the refined-sugar.
These muffins are great for dessert, but are healthy enough to eat for breakfast or as a snack. I’ve been eating these before I go running, and I can vouch that they will give you a nice boost of energy without weighing you down! They’d also be a great grab-and-go snack since muffins are so portable, but none of us are really going anywhere these day. Either way, they are still a great snack to sneak in between back-to-back meetings via Zoom 😉
How to make vegan banana bread muffins
These muffins are so easy to make and require just 10 minutes of prep time.
- Make a flax egg by combining ground flax seeds and water.
- In a large bowl, mash your bananas.
- Whisk the wet ingredients, flax egg, sugar, and spices into the mashed bananas.
- Then whisk in the flour, baking soda, and baking powder until evenly incorporated.
- Pour batter into the muffin tin and bake.
- Let cool and enjoy!
How to store vegan banana bread muffins
These muffins are perfect for meal prep. They will keep about 5 days or so in an air-tight container at room temperature, and they are freezer-friendly for up to a month.
More banana recipes
Got a bunch of ripe bananas to use up? Here are some more recipes to use up those spotty bananas! Remember, you can always freeze your bananas for smoothies 🍌
If you make this recipe, leave it a rating and a comment! You can also tag me @Daughter_of_Seitan on Instagram so I can see your lovely food creations. XOXO
These fluffy vegan banana bread muffins are also gluten-free, require just 10 ingredients, and are so easy to make. They are the perfect bite-sized healthy snack, breakfast, or dessert.
- 3 over ripe bananas
- 2 tablespoons ground flax seeds + 6 tablespoons water (sub chia seeds)
- 2 cups rolled oats, blended into a fine flour *
- 1/2 cup dairy-free milk
- 1/4 cup sugar (I used cane sugar)
- 2 teaspoons apple cider vinegar (sub lemon juice)
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Preheat the oven to 425 F.
- In a small bowl, mix the ground flax seeds with water to make a flax egg. Let sit about 8–10 minutes to thicken. Set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, mash your bananas really well with a fork.
- Whisk flax egg, non-dairy milk, apple cider vinegar, sugar, cinnamon, vanilla extract, and salt into the mashed bananas.
- Then whisk in the oat flour, baking powder, and baking soda until well-incorporated.
- Line a standard muffin tin with paper cupcake wrappers, parchment paper, or use a reusable silicone muffin tin. Pour the batter into your muffin tin, filling almost all the way to the top.
- Bake at 425 F for 5 minutes, then reduce the temperature to 350 F and bake 18-20 minutes until a toothpick inserted into the middle of the muffin comes out clean.
- Let cool for at least 5 minutes in the muffin tin, then transfer the muffins to a cooling rack to cool completely.
- These banana bread muffins last 5 days stored in an air-tight container at room temperature. Keep in the freezer up to a month!
* If you don’t want to make oat flour, you can sub 2 cups of all-purpose flour.
- Serving Size: 1 muffin
- Calories: 99 calories
- Sugar: 7.3g
- Sodium: 58mg
- Fat: 1.4g
- Saturated Fat: 0.25g
- Unsaturated Fat: 1g
- Trans Fat: 0g
- Carbohydrates: 19.9g
- Fiber: 2.85g
- Protein: 3.1g
- Cholesterol: 0mg
Keywords: Vegan Banana Bread, Banana Bread Muffins, Gluten-Free Muffins, Oat Flour