Have you ever tried the guava + cream cheese combo? If not, these vegan guava cream cheese pastries will knock your socks off. Gooey guava paste, soft cream cheese, flakey puff pastry, and sweet powdered sugar come together for the perfect treat.
I went into a Pricerite for the first time about two months ago and let’s just say their international section is inspiring, particularly with the vast variety of Latin American food. My Puerto Rican manager and I we were bonding over our love for Pricerite and he told me about the best international goodies you can get there.
He mentioned Goya guava paste, explaining how he puts it on crackers with cheese. That got me thinking about the guava + cheese combo and what I could do with it. My first thought was that it would be delicious as a pastry.
So off I went to buy some guava paste, vegan cream cheese, and puff pastry sheets. I made these vegan guava cream cheese concoctions, brought them into work, and they were a hit. Some of my coworkers had never tasted guava and were pleasantly surprised by the unexpected flavor.
I ended up making these two more times because I have so much guava paste left. If you have some Goya guava paste sitting around, this is a great recipe to make to use it up!
How to make vegan guava cream cheese pastries
A sheet of puff pastry is thawed and cut into 12 parts. Guava paste and vegan cream cheese is scooped onto the pastry squares. Melted vegan butter is brushed along the edges, the puff pastry is folded in half to form little pockets, and the edges are crimped together with a fork. One last brushing of vegan butter over the pastries, and into the oven they go. Once done, the pastries are topped off with powdered sugar for the perfect sweet treat.
A few notes
These are best eaten fresh out of the oven. They will keep in an airtight container for about 3 days, but will lose their crispiness. Try heating up leftovers in the toaster oven for best results. You can also microwave them for about 8 seconds or eat them at room temperature.
If you like this recipe, you will love my Vegan Strawberry Shortcake!
If you make this recipe, leave it a rating and a comment! You can also tag me @Daughter_of_Seitan on Instagram so I can see your lovely food creations. XOXOPrint
Vegan Guava Cream Cheese Pastries (Pastelillitos)
- Prep Time: 5 mins
- Cook Time: 20 min
- Total Time: 25 minutes
- Yield: 12 pastries 1x
- Category: Desserts
- Method: Baking
- Cuisine: Puerto Rican Inspired
- 1 sheet vegan puff pastry
- 3–4 tablespoons Goya guava paste
- 3 oz vegan cream cheese
- 2 tablespoons vegan butter
- 1/3 cup powdered sugar (optional but recommended)
- Thaw your frozen puff pastry sheet. Leave out at room temperature for about 45 minutes, or until is easy to unfold. You can also leave it in the fridge to thaw overnight.
- Preheat the oven to 400F.
- Unfold the puff pastry sheet on a lightly floured surface. Use a rolling pin to gently flatten the puff pastry with a rolling pin. Cut the puff pastry sheet into thirds horizontally, and into fourths vertically to form 12 squares.
- Scoop about a teaspoon each of guava paste and vegan cream cheese onto each pastry square.
- Melt the vegan butter in the microwave. Brush a little vegan butter on the edges of the pastry squares. Fold the pastry in half over the filling, crimping the edges with a fork.
- Poke holes on the tops of each pastry with a fork. Then brush the tops of the pastries with vegan butter, then pop in the oven for 20 minutes until fluffy and golden.
- Once done, let the pastries cool for about 5 minutes on a cooling rack. Sift a little powdered sugar on the bottom of the container you plan to store the pastries. Transfer the pastries to the container, and sift the rest of the powered sugar over the top of them.
- Store in an air-tight container for about 3 days. These are best eaten straight out of the oven. Reheat in a toaster oven or the microwave.
Keywords: Guava, Vegan Cream Cheese, Vegan Pastries, Puff Pastry, Vegan Pastelillitos
[…] Vegan Guava Cream Cheese Pastries […]