These vegan mushroom cream cheese wontons are super creamy and crispy. In just 20 minutes and with 6 ingredients, these wontons are a quick, easy appetizer or side. Top with chopped scallions and serve with sweet and sour or sweet chili sauce, or enjoy on their own!
I had never made wontons until last month when I decided to pick up some wonton wrappers on a whim. When I remember eating wontons, I think about the creaminess of the inside and the crispiness of the outside. So I picked up some vegan cream cheese to experiment with for the filling. I found that vegan cream cheese + mushrooms + scallions + soy sauce = 😇The combo is so simple but packs so much flavor that I had to share it!
How to make vegan mushroom cream cheese wontons
Prep the filling. Cook down the mushrooms + garlic until dark and wilted, then mix with the vegan cream cheese, soy sauce, and scallions.
Assemble the wontons. Scoop a heaping teaspoon of cream cheese mushroom mixture into the center of each vegan wonton wrapper. Dip your finger into some water and get the edges of the wonton wrapper wet. Fold the wrapper over to make a triangle, pinching the edges to seal them. Then pull the two corners of the wonton inward so one overlaps the other, pinching and sealing with water.
Bake the wontons. Pop them in the oven for 20 minutes and you’re done!
A few notes
These are best eaten fresh out of the oven. They will keep in the fridge alright 3-4 days, but will lose their crispiness. Try heating up leftovers in the toaster oven for best results.
If you like this recipe, you will love my Summer Rolls & Orange Tahini Sauce!
If you make this recipe, leave it a rating and a comment! You can also tag me @Daughter_of_Seitan on Instagram so I can see your lovely food creations. XOXO
- 12 vegan wonton wrappers
- 10 medium cremini mushrooms, finely diced
- 2oz vegan cream cheese
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon scallions, finely chopped
- 1/2 tablespoon soy sauce
- Preheat the oven to 375 F.
- Heat up some oil in a pan over medium high heat. Once hot, sautee the diced mushrooms and minced garlic for 5 minutes. The mushrooms will shrink in size and become dark. Remove from heat.
- Scoop the vegan cream cheese into a bowl and stir in soy sauce and scallions. Then mix in the mushrooms and garlic until well incorporated.
- Prepare the wontons. Lay a wonton wrapper flat on a cutting board or plate, and scoop a heaping teaspoon of the cream cheese mushroom mixture into the center of the wrapper.
- Dip your finger into a small bowl of water and get the edges of the wonton wrapper wet. Fold the wrapper over to make a triangle, pinching the edges to seal them. Then pull the two corners of the wonton inward so one overlaps the other, pinching and sealing with water.
- Place wontons on a lined or greased baking tray.* For extra crispiness, spray the wontons with a little cooking oil, but they will be delicious oil-free too!
- Bake for 10-12 minutes until golden brown. The wontons will crisp up a bit as they cool.
- Serve with sweet and sour sauce, sweet chili sauce, or soy sauce! These are best eaten immediately, but will last in the fridge for 3-4 days.
* I recommend using a reusable silicone mat for best results.
Keywords: Vegan Wontons, Vegan Cream Cheese, Mushrooms