This 3-ingredient cherry chia jam is made with wholesome ingredients and requires just 15 minutes to make! It is the perfect topping for oatmeal, pancakes, and toast. Making jam is also the perfect way to use up some frozen cherries or berries you have in the back of your freezer, or fresh fruit that is about to go bad.
I always keep a healthy stock of frozen blueberries in my freezer for smoothies, overnight oats, and snacking (if you’ve never snacked on frozen bloobs, then you aren’t living). But recently I’ve been enjoying rotating frozen cherries into the mix to switch things up. Cherries are a bit more expensive, but they are such a treat. My chocolate cherry smoothies are amazing. My almond butter cherry overnight oats are divine. But there is something so lovely about the taste of cherries on their own, and this cherry chia jam lets the cherry flavor really shine.
This cherry chia jam is made with just 3 simple ingredients: cherries (wow), chia seeds (obviously), and orange juice. The orange juice compliments the cherry flavor perfectly, while providing some extra sweetness without the need for refined sugar. Chia seeds help make this jam nice and thick and add a great texture – plus they are a great source of omega-3 fatty acids!
Swap out the cherries for strawberries, blueberries, or raspberries for an equally delicious jam.
How to make cherry chia jam
- Simmer cherries and orange juice in a small pot.
- Once simmering, use a wooden spoon to mash the cherries.
- Continue to simmer, frequently stirring and mashing the fruit.
- Once jam is thick, remove from heat and stir in the chia seeds.
- Let cool completely, then transfer to an air-tight container or jar.
- Serve on pancakes or waffles, stir into oatmeal, or spread onto toast! This keeps in the fridge for about a week.
If you like this recipe, you will also love…
If you make this recipe, leave it a rating and a comment! You can also tag me @Daughter_of_Seitan on Instagram so I can see your lovely food creations. XOXOPrint
This 3-ingredient chia cherry jam is made with wholesome ingredients and requires just 15 minutes to make! It is the perfect topping for pancakes, waffles, oatmeal, or toast.
- 3 cups frozen or fresh cherries* (I used frozen)
- 1/4 cup tablespoons orange juice
- 1–2 tablespoon chia seeds
- 1/4 tsp ginger (optional)
- Place cherries, orange juice, and ginger (optional) in a small pot and bring to a simmer over medium-high heat.
- Once it starts to simmer, reduce heat to medium and use a wooden spoon to mash the cherries.
- Continue to simmer uncovered for about 7-8 minutes, frequently stirring and mashing the fruit. Simmer until the liquid is mostly evaporated and the jam is thick.
- Remove from heat and stir in the chia seeds. Let cool completely, then transfer to an air-tight container or jar.
- Serve on pancakes, stir into oatmeal, or spread onto toast. This keeps in the fridge for about a week.
* You could also use berries if you don’t have cherries! Strawberries, blueberries, and raspberries would all work.
Keywords: Frozen Fruit, How to make Jam, Cherry Jam, Chia Jam, Frozen Cherries, Frozen Berries