I’ve always loved veggie burgers. I used to frequently grab a pack or two from the frozen section of the grocery store for a quick lunch or dinner — and I still do that from time to time! But when I found out how easy and cheap it was to make your own veggie burgers at home, I was definitely interested.
The first time I actually made my own veggie burgers was for a frat party cookout. It was my senior year of college, I was newly vegan, and there was a competition for the best burger… I was in it to win it.
And I did not win it. But I did get second place! 🏆
I’ve grown a lot in my veggie burger making skills since then. If I could do the cookout all over again, I like to imagine my Chickpea Veggie Burger would have won 😉 Next time!
How to make Classic Chickpea Veggie Burgers
This veggie burger is hearty, healthy, delicious, and 100% vegan! It comes together in about 20 minutes and is perfect for a quick weekday lunch or meal prep. And it only takes a few simple steps!
- Cook Onions, Tomatoes, and Mushrooms to bring out their flavors
- Put all ingredients in a food processor or blender & pulse until evenly incorporated
- Form patties with the dough & fry up your burgers!
Customizing your burgers
Veggie burgers are pretty forgiving. If you want to sub in different beans, veggies, or spices, go for it! This recipe was created with a classic veggie burger taste in mind, so I used a lot of tomato and savory flavors.
These veggie patties taste so good with a variety of different toppings, and would be perfect for a build-your-own burger set up at a cookout. I personally like to add lettuce, tomato, ketchup, mustard, and a nice sesame seed bun! 🍔
A Few Notes
- This recipe makes about 5-7 patties, depending on how large you make them.
- You can cook all your burgers at once, or store the dough in the fridge to make later in the week. The dough is best eaten between 3-4 days.
- I recommend using a food processor to make these. If you only have a blender, pulse half the mixture at a time!
Want more vegan burger ideas? Check out my BBQ Jackfruit & Vegan Coleslaw recipe!
If you make this recipe, leave it a rating and a comment! You can also tag me @Daughter_of_Seitan on Instagram so I can see your lovely food creations. XOXOPrint
These high-protein Classic Chickpea Veggie Burgers are easy to make, ready in 20 minutes, and perfect for a quick lunch or dinner.
- 1 tin White Beans (1.5 cups)
- 1 tin Chickpeas (1.5 cups)
- ½ cup All Purpose Flour
- ¾ cup Breadcrumbs
- 1 small Onion, diced
- 1 small Tomato, diced
- 4 small Mushrooms, diced
- 5 tbsp Tomato Paste
- 2 tsp Cumin
- 2 tsp Garlic Powder
- 1 tsp Paprika
- 1/4 tsp Salt + Black Pepper to taste
- Add a little oil or water in a pan over medium heat and fry the Onions, Mushrooms, and Tomatoes 5 minutes until soft and slightly brown.
- Meanwhile, drain and rinse 1 tin of White Beans and 1 tin of Chickpeas.
- In a food processor or blender, add in the cooked veggies along with the rest of your ingredients. If you are using a blender, be sure to pulse the ingredients in two batches so everything can get evenly processed. Pulse several times until the mixture is well combined but still chunky, scraping down the sides as necessary.
- Transfer mixture to a large bowl and form patties with your hands. The dough will be pretty sticky, so flour your hands and surface if needed!
- Add some oil to a large pan over medium low heat. Once hot, add your patties and fry 2-3 minutes on each side until it starts to brown.
- Serve as you please! I like these served on a sesame bun with fresh tomato, lettuce, mustard, and drenched with ketchup.
Keywords: Veggie Burgers, Chickpeas, High Protein, Vegan Sandwiches, Vegan Burgers